Pros and Cons of Ranch Houses – what to look for
Ranch style homes are gaining in popularity again. Not only are they popular with retirees but also young families and everything in between. With a shift in the market, building a ranch style home may be a great idea for you.
Pros of ranch houses
- Open living space – Ranch homes are known for their open living spaces, making entertaining and family gatherings a regular occurrence.
- Safer – Older people will be relieved that they don’t have to climb stairs, and parents will be happy to know they don’t have to worry about their small children navigating steps.
- Easy cleaning – With no second floor it’s easier to clean windows, climb the roof, or even paint. The height of some second-story homes could be dangerous.
Cons of ranch houses
- Cost – Building a ranch home is more expensive. It requires more materials for foundation, roof, siding, etc.
- Larger lot – Since a ranch home will take up more space it requires a larger lot. You may have to give up some of the land you initially wanted as a yard in order to build a one-story.
- Privacy – While this may not be at the forefront of your mind, it’s something to think about. Normally, master bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and feel isolated from the rest of the house. A first-floor bedroom may not feel as private and can take some getting used to.